My last day with Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez


Photo by Chico Sanchez/EFE Barinas 2007
(Photo by Chico Sanchez / EFE)
For six years I worked as a photographer in Venezuela for the picture agency Reuters, EPA and EFE. I spent most of this time taking pictures of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who died yesterday, Tuesday, March 5, 2013. 

At right, is one of the last pictures I took of Chavez, in which he is kissing the belly of his pregnant daughter. This moment was not meant for the cameras, but happened during a break of the programming of  his weekly show "Alo Presidente!" or "Hello President!" in his home of Barinas, Venezuela. 

Hugo Chavez was and is and always will be a polemic figure. Some love him. Some the opposite. But this is a photography blog, not political, so I want to share with you some of the pictures I took in those years in Venezuela. Please visit the slide show in this link: www.chicosanchez.com/venezuela