Chabelita

(Photo ©Chico Sanchez-All Rights Reserved)

My latest audio-slide show is about Isabel Alarcón, or Chabelita, and the home for the elderly women where she resides in Mexico City.  This 99-year-old woman has taught me a few life lessons and that above all else to accept life as it is.  I'd like to share something she told me when I wasn't recording:

"A human being is like a windmill.  To last one must be in constant movement, jumping, running, walking, up the stairs, then down...always moving."

This is her secret to reaching age 99.

                        The story of Isabel Alarcón, Chabelita: www.chicosanchez.com/chabelita
Working on this story made me realize how much knowledge and wisdom is lost and forgotten in old folks homes.  I could have done a different story on every single woman who lives there.